How to clean your diamond blade
A clean cut requires a clean blade. Gummed up blades increase friction and heat, causing your saw to work less effectively. There are two ways to clean your diamond blade: with a cleaning solution or by doing a bit of sawing. Here’s how to make your diamond blade as good as new.
Cleaning a diamond blade with a cleaning solutionYou can clean your diamond blade by soaking it in a cleaning solution. Make sure to choose one that won’t damage the blade’s carbide tips or the bond that keeps the diamonds in place. Wear heavy-duty gloves at all times, as the teeth can pierce your skin.
Follow these steps to clean your diamond blade with a solution of soap and water:
- Mix the cleaning agent with water. Make sure to follow manufacturer instructions.
- Pour the cleaning solution in a shallow pan.
- Soak the blade for a few minutes, until the dust and dirt have softened.
- Give it a good scrubbing with a synthetic bristle brush.
- Rinse under running water.
- Dry the blade with paper towels and return it to the saw.
Cleaning a diamond blade by sawingIf you have a spare piece of cement or concrete handy, then you can clean your diamond blade by sawing into it. Here’s how:
- Find a large, smooth and even piece of concrete that you can saw into.
- Turn on the saw to full power and make a few shallow cuts into the concrete. This process should only take about 10 to 20 seconds.
- Turn off the saw and inspect the blade. If there’s still some grit on it, repeat the process as many times as needed.
Doing this cleans the blade for the simple reason that diamond blades don’t cut, they grind. As the blade grinds the concrete, the diamonds fracture and the bond strips away, exposing new, sharp diamond points. So, by grinding down the blade a little bit, you’re both sharpening and cleaning it. Make sure you use a material that isn’t too soft, as this can prevent the bond from being stripped away and will dull the blade.
When cleaning isn’t enough
Cleaning your diamond blade is one thing — repairing it is another. That’s a job for an expert technician. Bomba Diamond Tools sells and repairs diamond saw blades in Scarborough and the Greater Toronto Area. Contact us today to find out more about our products and services!